Most employers don’t want this spreading throughout the workplace so they will often tell you to stay home if you are feeling sick – even if you have only been exposed. Many people question their choice for calling out of work, which is why we came up with a list of the best excuses for missing work . These excuses can be used whenever you have to make one reasons to call out of work of those difficult calls to inform your boss that you will be out for the day. Keep in mind that these excuses should be used sparingly and only when you are really truly feeling under the weather and need time off. Look, you may get to spend your birthday celebrating, but not going in to work because your animal has a birthday… that’s a bit of a stretch.
Some employers will require a doctor’s note or proof of illness for this to be considered a legit reason to call off work. In that case, don’t be afraid to go to your general practitioner or a local health clinic. Not only will you get the proof you need, but you’ll likely get some treatment to speed up your recovery.
A Family Member Died
If you are a pet parent, you must take care of your canine or feline companion or whatever you have in your custody. Thus, a pet medical emergency should be taken seriously too. Be sure that people in your place of work know you have a pet at least.
Childcare is hard to find when your usual daycare or caretaker falls through. It’s nearly impossible for your boss to confirm if you’re lying or not, and if they have kids themselves, they’ll probably be sympathetic to your cause. Casually mention that you’re going to donate blood the day before you plan on calling out work to really sell the story.
You’re taking care of a household problem.
This is perhaps the only circumstance where missing work is a positive situation for you and your employer, and it requires a bit of planning and dedication. If you spend extra time working in your week , you may be able to arrange a day off for yourself. Accidents, health issues, and major and minor emergencies are good excuses to miss work on short notice. Let’s say that you woke up with a flooded basement or a leaky roof. That way, you can deal with your emergency with a clear head and prepare your home (and your mind!) to return to work with a clean slate once the repairs are made.
If tax time is coming around, and you haven’t done your taxes, you may be able to get time off to do them. Your boss may ask you to do them on the weekend, but you may not be able to get an appointment with a CPA then. If you get robbed on the way to work, it’s one circumstance that many bosses will give you some leeway for. For example, you might need some time to cancel your credit cards, or you may not have your phone or work computer to do your work properly. Today, I will be showing you 30 good reasons to get out of work. Most big companies will have an online portal to request days off, as well as a place to formally document the request and its acceptance.
Acceptable Reasons To Miss Work
If you are confident enough to pull this one off, simply let your employer know you’ve been summoned for jury duty. This excuse can be hard to pull off if you have to answer any https://remotemode.net/ type of questions when you return. This is another excuse that generates sympathy, if your boss has ever had a sore back before, they know the best way to get better is to rest.
- But hurricanes, tornadoes, and other dangerous events can also mean you need to evacuate on short notice.
- Personal life and work-life balance is essential to preventing burnout in the workplace.
- If you give excuses for missing work often, however, your boss may get fed up with your reasons if they’re not genuine.
- If you’re using this excuse, make sure you’re not known for skipping out of work.
- Hannah was nominated as a LinkedIn Top Voice in Job Search and Careers and is a regular contributor to US News & World Report.
- This works well because it’s so silly and ridiculous, your boss will simply laugh it off and let you take the day off.
“Employers need to challenge this blinkered attitude, both for their own benefit as well as that of their employees,” said Glen Parkinson of AXA PPP Healthcare. The survey also asked 1,000 non-executive employees about which conditions they were most likely to lie to their boss about. Workers suffering from mental illnesses such as anxiety, depression, and stress were most likely to withhold the truth from their managers.
Best Career Memes for 2023
If you invent an emergency now, you may not have leeway for an actual crisis in the future. Keep your employer updated periodically and let them know at the end of the day whether you will be returning or if you need more recovery time at the end of the day. Not to mention that most folks are more sympathetic toward a sick kiddo than a sick adult. Things like car crashes, injuries, or anything else that requires your immediate attention all fit into this category. You never know how long your interview might take or if your prospective boss might want you to interview with other team members on the spot.
- Embarking on a job search is like preparing to climb a mountain.
- If you get robbed on the way to work, it’s one circumstance that many bosses will give you some leeway for.
- Realistically, it’s anything that doesn’t occur in your everyday life.
- Unexpected sickness affects everyone, and good managers will include some wiggle room in the schedule to accommodate this.
- Events View on-demand BetterUp events and learn about upcoming live discussions.
- His research has been featured on the New York Times, Thrillist, VOX, The Atlantic, and a host of local news.